Please join us!
Special guest: Congresswoman Sara Jacobs
March 2023 Meeting Notes
- President, Cathie Hyatt called to order 6:30pm
- Agenda approved unanimously. M: Susan Peinado
- Eboard appointments
- Director of Community Relations: Alyce Pipkin-Allen
- Media Director: Angela de Joseph
- Candidate comments
- Dr. Brenda Miller – candidate for Grossmont Hospital District Board of Director zone 3.
- Joseph Rocha – candidate for Assembly District 76
- Dr. Timothy Bilash – candidate for US Congressional District 50
- Elected Officials/Representatives
- Doug Case – update from State Senate President Pro Tem, Toni Atkins
- Women’s History Month Program:
- CA suffrage movement – Melissa Jones, Assoc. Director, Women’s Museum of CA.
Glimpse at the History of DWC – Susan Peinado, past DWC President
- Pilot Study: Abuse women face when running for office – Nadia Farjood, California Women’s List
- Motion to donate $1000 to CA Women’s List M: Yvonne Elkin
- Treasurer report called for (Susan Peinado)
- Beatrice Cubitt, Treasurer reports $6862.00 on account
- Motion carries unanimously
- Congresswoman Sara Jacobs – updates on her work in Washington
- New Membership Level
- Amanda Gorman Level for people born after 1980 – $15
- Officer Reports
- Nothing to report
- New Business
- DWC will have a table at the Roosevelt Dinner w/ Rep. Katie Porter as the key note speaker
- Unfinished Business
- Letter to postpone early endorsements sent to Central Committee
- Susan Peinado: Reproductive justice 101 training via zoom with North County San Diego Womxn’s March
- Timothy Bilash: CA Association for Retired Americans continuing to remind congress not touch social security
- Adjourn 8:06pm
Next Meeting: April 17, 2023 at Elijah’s Restaurant, 6:30pm
DWC President, Cathie Hyatt & Nadia Farjood
Monday, February 20, 2023, via Zoom
6:30pm – President, Dr. LaWana Richmond called the meeting to order.
Agenda approved without objection. M: Susan Peinado
• Dr. Darshana Patel, candidate for State Assembly Dist. 76
• Heather Ferbert, candidate for San Diego City Attorney
Lori Saldana: Central Committee early endorsement calendar is being considered Tuesday, February 21 at 6:00pm
Elected Officials or Representatives:
• Sabrina Bazzo, San Diego Unified School Board President
• Tiffany Boyd-Hodgson PhD, Director Vallecitos Water District
• Dr. Darshana Patel, Poway Unified School Board President
Program: BLACK HISTORY MOMENT through an AFROFUTURIST LENS by Dr. LaWana Richmond
Presentation by Christie Love Hill, ACLU of San Diego Counties PrOTECT: Coalition for Police Accountability and Transparency
Motion that the DWC publicly support PrOTECT by adding the DWC logo to cpatsd.com. M: Yvonne Elkin. Passed Unanimously
Nominating Committee Report and Election: Chair, Rosemond Trujillo-Blevins and Lucille Toniolo
Treasurer – one-year term to fill vacancy
Elected Beatrice Cubitt
External VP – one-year term to fill vacancy
Elected Tiffany Boyd-Hodgson PhD
Elected Andrea Cubitt
Elected Hannah Green
Director of Membership – two-year term
Elected Patricia Wojdowski
President – two-year term
Elected Cathie Hyatt
Motion to write a letter from the club to the Central Committee requesting a delay of early friendly incumbent endorsements. M: Lori Saldana. Passed unanimously. Incoming President, Cathie Hyatt will write and send letter tonight.
Message from Party Chair, Becca Taylor, expressing excitement and congratulations to the new officers. – Susan Peinado
Comment Alyce Pipkin-Allen: inquired about bylaw provision to appoint a Black woman to the eboard for more perspective and greater diversity. Incoming board will address.
Treasurer, Yvonne Elkin: $6,790.02 in the bank. Presented budget. Approved unanimously.
M: Yvonne Elkin. Tonight’s minutes needed for transfer of officers.
Director of Membership, Sarah Davis: 88 paid members in good standing.
Director of Communication, Ann Crosbie: no report, thanked outgoing eboard.
President, Dr. LaWana Richmond, expressed gratitude and hope for inclusion and welcoming environment on the board going forward.
Dr. Richmond: Grio’Neers 501c3 Afrofuturism Workshop at the University Club, March 20.
Michelle Krug: CA Alliance of Retired Americans bus trip to Kevin McCarthy, March 7.
Diversionary Theatre production, High Table playing through March 5
Tiffany Boyd-Hodgson: North County African American Women’s Association, March 11.
Lori Saldana: Article in Union Tribune re: Party finances.
Angela de Joseph: Thank you to the DWC for sponsoring and volunteering at the Women of Color Roar breakfast. Rep. Barbara Lee, candidate for US Senate, speaking with BAWR, March 26 via zoom.
Angela Hawkins: prompted a round of applause for the outgoing eboard.
Adjourned at 8:19pm M: Cathie Hyatt
Notes from May 16th Meeting
2022 Endorsement Result Details
Here are the final results of our endorsement vote on April 18, 2022.