Zoom Meeting. Monday, September 17 available on our YouTube channel.
Meeting was called to order at 6:35PM by Susan Peinado, President.
Participant Controls & Best Practices for Zoom
Introduction of DWC Club Officers – VP Dr Rebecca Fielding-Miller, VP Ramla Sahid (absent), Secretary Cathie Hyatt, and Treasurer Rosamond Blevins.
Recognition of visiting elected officials or their representatives:
- Doug Case representing Senate President Pro Tem Toni Atkins
Agenda approved (M: Alyce Pipken-Allen)
Program: Panel Discussion of the Policies, Politics and Next Steps for SB 731
Chaired by Club Member Dominic Nguyen.
SB 731, which would have allowed “bad officers” to be permanently stripped of their badges, failed to pass the California Legislature in August 2020 as state lawmakers could not muster enough support to pass one of the year’s top policing reform bills.
The measure would have created a way to decertify officers found to have committed serious misconduct. But the bill could not overcome vehement objections from law enforcement organizations that the proposed system is biased and lacks basic due process protections. Five states currently have no way of decertifying poor police officers – California, Hawaii, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
- Julia Yoo. Civil Rights Attorney, Iredale Law. Ms. Yoo is also the Incoming President of the National Police Accountability Project, the largest civil rights attorney organization in the country.
- Genevieve Jones-Wright. Civil Rights Attorney. Ms. Jones-Wright is also Executive Director of Community Advocates for Just and Moral Governance (MoGo).
- Dave Myers. Commander, San Diego County Sheriff’s Department (Retired). Mr. Myers is also on the board of directors of Community Advocates for Just and Moral Governance (MoGo).
- Andrea St. Julian. Civil Trial Attorney. Ms. St. Julian is also on the board of directors of the Earl B. Gilliam Bar Association and Community Advocates for Just and Moral Governance (MoGo).
Treasurer, Rosamond Blevins
- Gave the current bank balance
- Suggestions for donations and,
- Plea for members to volunteer for endorsed candidates
- Motion to donate $500 to National Police Accountability Project (M: Yvonne Elkin) Passed unanimously
- Motion to donate $250 to San Diegans for Justice (M: Doug Case) Passed unanimously
- Motion to donate $800 to SDCDP (M: Rosamond Blevins) Passed 24:1
- Motion to donate $200 to Universidad Popular for census push/education (M: Michelle Krug)
- Motion to donate $499 to Kate Bishop for Chula Vista Elementary School Board if legal (M: Gary Gartner) Passed unanimously
President, Susan Peinado
- Volunteer Opportunities, Biden/Harris yard signs available to DWC members
Covid Rant – UCSD Epidemiologist Vice President Dr. Becca Fielding Miller – Not that Kind of Doctor
Club Vice President, Dr. Rebecca Fielding Miller
- COVID-19 update
- Wedad Schlotte – Mayoral Forum, Friday
- Rosamond Blevins – East County Caucus Auction
- Genevieve Jones- Wright – Community Voter Education Zoom, October 1
- Michelle Krug – California Alliance of Retired Americans
From the Chat
- Arab-America Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) San Diego City Mayoral Forum, October 16 (Zoom) Meeting ID: 899 6831 5676 Passcode: 527565
- BAPAC San Diego Mayoral Forum Saturday October 17 @ 12PM
- California Alliance of Retired Americans, October 3, 12PM
- Dr. LaWana Richmond, Our Endorsed candidate for SD Unified School Board District E
- Rob Howard, candidate for Mayor of Oceanside
- Tiffany Boyd-Hodgson, Our Endorsed candidate for Vallecitos Water Board District 5
- Kate Bishop, Our Endorsed candidate for Chula Vista Elementary School Board
- Samm Hurst, Our Endorsed candidate for Santee City Council District 4
Meeting adjourned 9:20PM
Next regular meeting – Monday, October 19, 2020
Notes by Cathie Hyatt, Secretary