““Do not get lost in a sea of despair. Be hopeful, be optimistic. Our struggle is not the struggle of a day, a week, a month, or a year, it is the struggle of a lifetime. Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble.”
John Lewis, 1940-2020
Zoom Meeting. Monday, July 20 available on our YouTube channel.
Meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Susan Peinado, President.
Agenda approved (M: Esther Sanchez)
- Welcome and thank you
- Reading of letter to Senator Atkins and Assemblymember Dr. Weber regarding Federal use of force against peaceful protesters. Motion to support (Shari Mackin) tabled to allow time to credential members.
Doug Case introduced Club Member Senate President pro Tempore, Senator Toni G. Atkins
- COVID 19, legislation, and budget updates
- Q & A
Club Member California State Assemblymember Dr. Shirley N. Weber.
- Additional updates
- Ellen Nash presents Federal force letter and requests her support.
- Q & A
- The passing of John Lewis
Club Vice President Dr. Rebecca Fielding Miller
- COVID 19 update & rant
- Q & A
Endorsement Committee Chair Yvonne Elkin updated the club on our next Endorsement meeting Sunday, August 16, 11AM to 2PM. These meetings will be limited to members only. ONLY members who can vote will be mailed ballots and links to the meeting.
We will attempt to endorse in the following races:
Chula Vista Elementary School Board Area 4
- Kate Bishop
- Laurie Humphrey
- Rob Howard
- Ruben Major
- Esther Sanchez
Oceanside City Council District 3
- Bill Batchelor
- Amber Newman
- Shari Mackin
Oceanside City Council District 4
- Michelle Gomez
- Jane Marshall
National City City Council
- Marcus Bush
- Jerry Cano
- Gonzalo Quintero
- Jose Rodriguez
- Ditas Yamane
Vallecitos Water Board Division 5
- Tiffany Boyd-Hodgson
- Matt Corrales
Ellen Nash and Alyce Pipkin-Allen
- Update on Resolution to Demand San Diego Democrats Refuse Donations from Law Enforcement Unions, seeking DWC-SD support
- Unanimously endorsed by San Diego County Democratic Party
- Candidates are in the process of donating the money they received from law enforcement to local organizations
Consideration of letter to Senator Atkins and Assemblymember Dr. Weber regarding Federal use of force against peaceful protesters
Motion to suspend noticing requirement as permited in the bylaws to allow vote on supporting the letter (Yvonne Elkin) passes.
Motion to support letter (Shari Mackin) passes.
Rosamond Blevins gave the Treasurer’s Report on bank balance and recap of donations.
- Shari Mackin, candidate for Oceanside City Council District 3
- Samm Hurst, candidate for Santee City Council District 4
- Sarah Davis, candidate for State Assembly District 78
- Tiffany Boyd-Hodgson, candidate for Vallecitos Water Board District 5
- Jack Shu, candidate for La Mesa City Council
- Esther Sanchez, candidate for Mayor of Oceanside
- Tim Nader, candidate for Superior Court Judge
- Dr. LaWana Richmond, candidate for SD Unified School Board District E
- Rob Howard, candidate for Mayor of Oceanside
- Nadia Kean-Ayub representing Tiffany Gonzalez, candidate for Sweetwater Planning Board
- Kate Bishop, candidate for Chula Vista Elementary School Board
- Joe LaCava, candidate for San Diego City Council District 1 (had to leave before announcements at the end of the meeting)
- Michelle Krugg – Propositions 15, 16, 17, and 18
- Shane Parmely – Resolution to remedy the discrimination of unsheltered during COVID
- Kate Bishop – SD Progressive Democratic Club South Chapter Progressives Special Panel: Trans+ Allyship and Activism, July 27 at 6PM
- Oceanside Mayor filing deadline extended to August 12
From the Chat
- Defund The Police: Breaking Down City/County Budgets
- Women’s Education Circle for Democracy Long Beach, email@example.com (562)477-8052, Deborah Betance
Meeting adjourned 8:48PM
Dance Party – Keb’Mo and Roseanne Cash- Put a Woman in Charge
Next meeting – Endorsement Meeting, Sunday, August 16, 2020
Next regular meeting – Monday, August 17, 2020
Notes by Cathie Hyatt, Secretary