Democratic Woman’s Club of San Diego County
Monday, September 16, 2019, Monthly Meeting, Elijah’s Restaurant
Welcome members, guests, elected officials, and candidates.
- President Susan Peinado opened the meeting at 6:30PM
- Approval of agenda (Motion: Gretchen Newsom).
- Motion (Ruth Rollins) to amend agenda removing CA District 53 from endorsement consideration. Passed 47- 27.
Meeting turned over to Endorsement Committee
- Chaired by Lucille Toniolo
CA Assembly District 77 – Brian Maienschein
- Motion to endorse by acclamation (M: Ruth Rollins). Divided voice vote.
- Motion to vote by paper ballets (M: Evlyn Andrade-Heymsfield). Passed. Endorsed.
CA Assembly District 78 – Sarah Davis, Micah Perlin, Chris Ward
- No candidate received 60% of votes
- Motion to rate Sarah Davis acceptable (M: Kate Bishop)
- Amendment to motion to include Chris Ward as acceptable (M: Doug Case). Amendment passes
- Amendment to add Micah Perlin as acceptable (M: Mahamed Abdulahi) Amendment fails
- Amended motion passes rating both Sarah Davis and Chris Ward acceptable.
CA Assembly District 79 – Dr. Shirley Weber (friendly endorsement)
- Motion to endorse by acclamation (M: Dave Myers) – Passed unanimously
Congressional District 51 – Aeiramique Glass Blake, Juan Vargas
- Motion to endorse Aeiramique Glass Blake by acclamation (M: Katie Meyer) – passed unanimously
October Endorsement Calendar: Attempt to endorse in the following races:
- San Diego City Council D1 – Aaron Brennan, Joe LaCava, Will Moore, Harid Puentes, Louis Rodolico
- San Diego Community College District D – Mary Graham (friendly incumbent)
- San Diego City Council D7 – Raul Campillo, Wendy Wheatcroft, Sharon Larios, Monty McIntyre
Unanimous approval of October endorsement calendar
The following business occurred between endorsements and during vote counts:
President’s Report, Susan Peinado – 1619 Exhibit at the San Diego Women’s Museum Event, October 3, 6pm.
External Vice President, Ramla Sahid – Surveillance cameras update.
Internal Vice President, Dr. Becca Miller – Tacos and Beers Fundraiser, TBD.
Treasurer, Rosamond Blevins – Balance of account. Donation to Casa Cornelia.
Secretary, Cathie Hyatt – No report.
Communications Chair, John Loughlin – No report.
Social Committee Chair, Kate Bishop – DWC Theatre Night! Dance Nation.
• Happy Birthday to CA Assemblywoman, Dr. Shirley Weber.
• Michelle Krug – CADEM Pre-endorsements: October 5.
• Angela De Joseph WOC Media Radio Show: Saturdays, 1pm, KNSJ 89.1FM
- Elizabeth Lavertu – Candidate for California State Assembly District 71
- Michelle Gomez – Candidate for Oceanside City Council District 4
- Sara Jacobs – Candidate for US Congress District 53
Meeting adjourned: 9:00pm
Next regular meeting is 7pm, Monday, October 21, 2019, Elijah’s Restaurant.
Notes by Cathie Hyatt, Secretary