Democratic Woman’s Club of San Diego County
Monday, June 17, 2019, Monthly Meeting, Elijah’s Restaurant
Welcome and Introductions
President Susan Peinado opened the meeting at 7:00pm.
Welcome to members and guests.
Approval of agenda (Motion: Yvonne Elkin).
Welcome to guests and new members.
Introduction of club officers, chairs, and club associates.
Introduction of Angela de Joseph as Public Relations and Media Chair and Nicole Jones as South Bay Club Associate.
Recognition of other clubs’ officers.
- Barbara Bry – San Diego City Council District 1
- Doug Case for Toni Atkins – CA Senate President pro Tem District 39
- Harid Puentes – Candidate for San Diego City Council District 1
- Raul Campillo – Candidate for San Diego City Council District 7
- Terra Lawson-Remer – Candidate for County Board of Supervisors District 3
- Nora Vargas – Candidate for County Board of Supervisors District 1
- Joe LaCava – Candidate for San Diego City Council District 1
- Sharon Larios – Candidate for San Diego City Council District 7
- Cory Briggs – Candidate for City Attorney
- Aniya Brown for William Moore – Candidate for San Diego City Council District 1
- Kenya Taylor – Candidate for County Board of Supervisor District 2
- Steph Groce – Candidate for San Diego School Board Seat A
- Joaquin Vazquez – Candidate for Congress District 53
- Nick Serrano for Todd Gloria – Candidate for Mayor of San Diego
- Delfina Gonzalez – Candidate for Chula Vista City Council District 4
Jay Jayakumar of 350.org spoke in support of the Green New Deal Resolution for DEM Clubs. Anne-Marie Kaukonen motioned that the club vote on supporting the resolution at the July meeting. Unanimous approval.
Bubby and cake served to celebrate the 5th anniversary of the Democratic Woman’s Club!
Endorsement Committee, Chair Yvonne Elkin
Motion to approve July endorsement calendar (Doreen Mattingly)
June Endorsements (*Friendly Incumbents):
- Chula Vista City Council District 3* Steve Padilla endorsed
- San Diego City Council District 9* Georgette Gomez: endorsed unanimously
- Assembly District 80* Lorena Gonzalez (Mary Latibashvilli representing): endorsed
- CA State Senate 39* Toni Atkins (Doug Case representing): endorsed unanimously
- Congressional District 49* Mike Levin (Hunter Phillips representing): endorsed unanimously
- Treasurer’s Report, Rosamond Blevins reported the bank balance and showed the check out cards for the club’s Little Free Library
- Secretary’s Report, Cathie Hyatt with a reminder of mobile Little Free Library and a plea for donated books
- Communications Chair, John Loughlin asked everyone to signup for the clubs’s Meetup.com group
- President’s Report, Susan Peinado. Skivvies for Stand Down, an annual three-day event run by Veterans Village of San Diego. This year undergarments are requested— new underwear, bras and undershirts for men, women and children in need. Book Club – Our next book: “How All Politics Became Reproductive Politics, from welfare reform to foreclosure to Trump” by Laura Briggs. Discussion at Women’s Museum on August 8. O.B. Chili Cook Off 6/22 – Booth with Point Loma Dems
- Angela de Joseph
- Ellen Nash
- Yvonne Elkin
- Lauren Beir
- Katie Meyer
- Andrea Cubit
- Michelle Krug
Announcements from the floor:
- Katie Myer: SD Progressive Club Meeting/Forum City Council Dist 1 & 3
- Michelle Krug: Backpack Full of Cash – screening 6/20, 4pm, Chesterton School, CPI gathering at Jacobs, 6/20 Center– see Michelle for info
- Anne Hoiberg: 100 Years Anniversary of Women’s Right to Vote, 8/25/19, Organ Pavilion, 4pm
- Oren Robinson: Jewish Voice for Peace San Diego event 6/22
- John Loughlin: World Refugee Day 6/22
Meeting adjourned: 9pm
Next regular meeting is 7pm, Monday, July 15, 2019, Elijah’s Restaurant.
Notes by Cathie Hyatt, Secretary