Democratic Woman’s Club of San Diego County February 19, 2018 Meeting at Elijah’s Restaurant.
President Susan Peinado opened the meeting at 7pm. The agenda was approved with a unanimous voice vote.
Guests and Candidates (not seeking endorsement tonight):
- Tommy Hough – candidate for SD City Council District 6
- Doug Case – representing State Senator Toni Atkins
- Matt Brower – candidate for Superior Court Judge
- Kevin Beiser – candidate for School Board
- Matt Valenti – candidate for SD City Council District 6
- Sean Elo – candidate for SD Community College Board
- Leticia Cazares – candidate for Southwestern Community College Board
- Rafael Perez – candidate for SD Community College Board
- Mary Anne Viney – candidate for Carlsbad City Council District 1
- James Elia – candidate for State Assembly District 71
- Fayaz Nawabi – candidate for SD City Council District 6
- Judy Key – animal cruelty petition
- Michelle Krug – various petitions and announcements
President’s Report – Robert’s Rules overview with handout.
President provided Treasurer’s Report – as Rosamond Blevins was still busy checking members in to the meeting.
Announcement that the County Party’s Making a Difference Award is to be presented to our External VP, Ramla Sahid at the upcoming Roosevelt Dinner (April 7, 2018).
The membership unanimously approved $500 for a subsidized DWC table for the Roosevelt Dinner, for those members who can’t afford the full $115 ticket (first 10 applicants will get the ticket for only $65).
Certificate of Appreciation from Lemon Grove Mayor, Racquel Vasquez acknowledging DWC sponsorship of ROAR Breakfast.
Report – Angela de Joseph, Women of Color ROAR Breakfast recap and thanks. Announced March for Black Women San Diego to be held on March 10, 2018.
Announcement that the County Party’s Volunteer of the Year Award is to be presented to clubmember Michelle Krug at the upcoming Roosevelt Dinner (April 7, 2018).
Run by Dr. Doreen Mattingly – candidates must get 60% of the vote to be endorsed.
San Diego City Council District 8
- Antonio Martinez
- Vivian Moreno – Endorsed
San Diego City Council District 4
- Myrtle Cole
- Monica Montgomery – Endorsed
San Diego City Council District 2 – All candidates rated acceptable
- Jordan Beane
- Jennifer Campbell
- Bryan Pease
US Congressional District 49
- Doug Applegate
- Sara Jacobs
- Mike Levin – Proxy, Chrissy Levin (spouse)
- Christina Prejean
Applegate, Jacobs, Prejean rated acceptable. Levin not recommended.
Additional Candidate comments:
- Ammar Campa Najjar – Candidate for US Congressional District 50
The membership unanimously approved:
- New Associate Member, North Area Representative: Brett Fisher
- New Associate Member, South Area Representative: Lilianna Barba
Meeting adjourned at 10pm.
Notes: Cathie Hyatt, Secretary
Photos: John Loughlin